Tuesday, January 27, 2009

a big bucket

So this Great Emergence recap thing just isn't happening right now. Right after I read the book it was fresh and exciting, but now it's like a book report. To steal from someone who I often steal from, "it's the difference between 'having to say something' and 'having something to say'." I don't want to just regurgitate a few quotes because it so misses the point of what the book is about. The whole purpose is to look backwards, and then dream forwards, and what happened was I started 'dreaming' about other stuff with friends, and I want to open that up here as well. Unfortunately I didn't get to any of the 'dream' part in the book, which is the fascinating part, but I really only wanted to recap this so my friends could be thinking about it and then we could see what pieces we can start to put into the puzzle. So, If you wanna know about it, call me up. Maybe I'll get back to it, I hope I do, cause it's really good stuff. But for now it needs to marinade a bit longer.

And it just felt way to dang formal, anyway!

In the meantime, I had a fun discussion with some friends here at Chris Sayler's blog on the topic of nonviolence and evil. Always good. Definitely read the comments.

I've also been talking about a Neue Ministry article on business practices in the Church, which has presented some great ideas. The topics have wandered around from business to specialized churches, to the causes and effects of specialization, to shared leadership... It's all on facebook, but I'll try to find a way to do a transcript or something.

I think I want to make this more of a "bucket" for random ideas that I want to share with people to get their ideas. Sort of a collective bucket, if you will. I enjoy that a lot more than trying to polish ideas and present a thorough case for some point or other. So expect more random and quirky posts in the future. Maybe.

3 comments:

Matt said...

Haha, I just finished reading The Great Emergence & I was going to ask if you were ever going to finish your series so I'd understand your perspective on it all - especially what so draws you to it.

Maybe I'll write something on it.

luke said...

Hahaha, sorry. I'm a little sad because I feel like I started telling a joke, and spent all this time setting it up, then forgot the punchline. Oh well. I've had a lot of trouble getting my thoughts from the book into words, and just don't have it right now. I plan on reading it again in the future, and this time I'll make notes of my thoughts AS I read, not a month or two later.

Plus, I think I'm getting a little burned out on theology and thinking stuff right now. I have completed ignored all the "furnacey" kind of things I used to read, meaning anything that engaged heart and spirit instead of mind and spirit. And now I'm realizing that the new stuff I've learned can only be lived if I return to some of the spiritual formation and discipline. So it's a balance. Gee, never would have guessed, eh? And I'm trying to regain that balance, but I'm finding it hard to read less theology and read more Foster and Nouwen and Willard and the Bible. Maybe I'll post about that soon.

Christopher said...

ha... I love your analogy of setting up a joke and then forgetting the punchline! Great stuff!

I need to borrow some heart and spirit stuff. I think God is moving me a bit away from academics for the moment. Always wanted to read Nouwen... do you have anything of his?