Monday, October 29, 2007

Efficiency

Soon I'll be offering some interesting stuff I've read about in "Colossians Remixed: Subverting the Empire" by Brian Walsh and Sylvia Keesmaat, which is a book I've wanted to read for about a year now and couldn't find anywhere. So when I saw it at the Fuller bookstore, I grabbed it. But I am usually so busy reading school books, I've barely started. So instead, here is a quote from my favorite school book, "Postmodern Youth Ministry" by Tony Jones, which I think is actually quoting from Youthworker by Mike Yaconelli. It's all very confusing...


_________________________________________________

Jesus: I don't like crowds.

Me: You don't like crowds?!? What are you talking about?

Jesus: I don't like crowds. Go back and read my story. Yes, I had crowds from time to time, but most of the people in them just wanted more wine, food, and power. Then - when I didn't give them what they wanted - they killed me. Nope. I don't like crowds. Besides, my best work was done one on one. You know the woman at the well, the crazy guy, the blind man, the prostitute. That's when I did my best stuff.

Me: But... um... that isn't very efficient.

Jesus: I know. I don't believe in efficiency.

Me: What?!?

Jesus: Let me put it this way. I believe in making disciples one at a time. Very slow stuff.
_________________________________________________


If only Jesus had read 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, think what he might have accomplished...

Sorry, I couldn't resist it. I'm still working on my self discipline.

4 comments:

Ben Nockels said...

Luke - your post caused me to think about one sentence in particular that I recently read by Evan Lauer in "The Dust Off Their Feet - Lessons From The First Church". This is part of The Voice Project. Check it out at www.HearTheVoice.com.

"Our mission is not to overlay western culture with a thin veneer of Christian values; our mission is to rescue people out of western culture, realizing it is a lost cause."

maiejfiefjeislei said...

Yo brother!
that was awesome! i love this one.
dude, you need to make me a list of books to get to when i stop making excuses...miss ya. Thanks so much for the talk earlier. i needed it.
love
M

luke said...

Thanks for the comments guys! I always love it.

Ben- That is a really great quote. I'm just beginning to understand that for the first time. What are some of the western culture practices that Evan Lauer highlights as destructive? What I've been reading has focused a lot on consumerism. I'd love to know more.

M- It was good talking with you bro. I needed it too. Sometimes I feel a little disconnected out here, so you are always welcome to call! Let me know how things progress.

RYAN E. said...

I completely agree with your post and was thinking about that today even. We try to get everyone saved but don't take the time to walk with them, talk with them or disciple them. which was the point. "GO MAKE DISCIPLES". Not go get people saved that is a fruit of discipleship.