Friday, October 26, 2007

a new post cause i felt like i had to write something

I guess I haven't written anything in over a week now. There are a few factors in that. First, school has been busy and I had a midterm and paper that were taking large portions of my time. Second, there has been a lot on my mind, but its not coherent enough to write about. Yeah, I know that's never stopped me before. And third, I borrowed a friend's Nintendo Wii and started playing Zelda. But that really has nothing to do with it...

School is going well, but I'm a little frustrated that there is very little emphasis on application. We constantly have to read and I've learned a lot of interesting stuff. And so far that is really where it has stopped; we get lots of info. It seems the only point is to be able to wow your congregational with your incredible Bible Trivia abilities. Now I love random info (it's probably most of what I know!), but I really got the impression from everything Fuller said that they emphasized WHY this piece of info, was in fact, not random but important and helps to bring light to that other seemingly unconnected piece of info. There has been some of that, but it's mostly "Discuss all the evidence that leads to a likely dating of the Exodus, from the Bible, other written sources, and archaeological findings", and nothing about why the dating is important, what it means for Joe Randomdude, and how it affects the best way to understand other events in the Bible. It's like that "practical thing" doesn't really matter, when that's really ALL I care about.

In fairness, it is mid-term time, and who doesn't hate class when you are studying for a test or writing a paper. And I had the exact same complaint with UCCS when I got my Computer Science degree there. All theory, no practical. Maybe it's just the way I'm wired, but I don't really care to just think about stuff. I love thinking about stuff and learning new things, but I get stuck there and it doesn't change me or help me live differently, and what good is that? (This is actually a lot of what I have been wrestling with lately, cause I feel like I'm not really doing what I say I should be doing, cause I'm doing other stuff first, but is that what I should be doing, and does it even matter, and will I get there either way, and...) And it really has me frustrated when all I've learned is just what I can read in a book, for about 1% of the price...

So anyway. I hope to have something more interesting or exciting next time. Miss you all a lot. Hope you are enjoying the fall (for those of you who either like for or are experiencing fall). I'm sick of it being hot, smoky and fiery, and you mountain dwellers are mad cause it's already snowing...

No comments: